Chances are that for the large majority of UK adults, the idea of going without a drink for a full month does not sound like a big deal. Nonetheless, it is really not until you decide to spend a month alcohol-free that you begin to realise just how many times during an average month you find yourself reaching for a drink or two. Even if you are not a regular or heavy drinker, it is largely inevitable that you will come across alcohol on a daily basis more often than you realise.
From a weekend football match to a romantic dinner for two to parties to unexpected guests and so on, it really is quite incredible how regularly alcohol seems to play some role in everything we do. Nonetheless, it is a well-known and documented fact that the large majority of UK adults can do with cutting down even a little. After all, you do not necessarily have to find yourself checking private alcohol rehab clinics, in order to be able to benefit from reducing alcohol consumption at least a little.
So with this in mind, here is a short overview of nine things you will discover by cutting out alcohol for a month:
- Better Memory. First up, cutting out alcohol for a month might just bring about the discovery that your memory is not quite as bad as you thought it was. If you are the kind of person who likes to go out on a regular basis only to not remember a thing that happened the night before, you will be amazed just how much more enjoyable it is to wake up the next morning with your memory intact.
- Hangovers. The older one gets, the more every hangover they earn seems to drag on and destroy their free time. The simple fact is that if you experienced as unpleasant effects as you do during a hangover, you may seek medical help. Still, so many people put themselves through such misery every weekend, robbing themselves of their free time for the sake of living it up for a few hours the night before. When you reduce alcohol consumption, you will realise just how unnecessary and tedious hangovers really are.
- Money. Chances are you’re also significantly worse off in a financial aspect than you believe you are – all those drinks are not cheap! It could be quite shocking, but if you sit down and honestly go through how much money you blow on nothing but alcohol and hangovers…well, let us just say there are much likely better and bigger things you can spend your money on!
- Problems. You might also find that you have significantly fewer problems than you thought, once you say goodbye to booze for some time. Alcohol has the very real potential to turn most people into drama queens, both during the drinking session and during the inevitable hangover. Cut the alcohol out of the equation and you remove so many issues that aren’t and never were real problems at all.
- Better Health. Even a moderate reduction in alcohol consumption could have a hugely beneficial effect on the immune system. And considering the fact that your immune system is your protection from getting sick, this is certainly a great thing!
- Fewer Mistakes. The only thing worse than having no recollection from the night before is being reminded that you made a complete fool of yourself in front of a bunch of people you were trying to impress. Honestly – the kinds of mistakes all of us have made due to alcohol consumption wouldn’t make for pretty reading! So, why not regain control over your actions and decisions and kiss goodbye to drinks?
- Sobriety. Guess what – it’s perfectly possible to go out and have a great time while sober. And the fact is that if you don’t think this is true, it only proves that you have never tried it for yourself!
- Quality Sleep. Alcohol can help you fall asleep in the first place, but the effects it has on sleep quality can be pretty devastating. Even if you assume you have relatively consistent and healthy sleep habits, just wait and see how amazing you feel when alcohol is removed from the equation!
- Work. Last up, without alcohol, you may find that the early morning work process is not quite as painful as you thought it was. Additionally, getting the job done while clear and free is a world away from ploughing through your work day with an epic hangover.